Monday, July 6, 2015

Week 41... Isabella's Baptism, and finding comfort in the BOM!!!


This week was such an amazing week here in Los Sauces. We have been preparing so many people for baptism. We have seen the Lord’s hand in every possible situation in this work. 

This week we were really blessed to baptize an 11 year old girl 
named Isabella. She is a daughter of a really active member. The reason she wasn’t baptized is because her dad is completely against the church. Her parents are now separated and live in completely different parts of the country. About a month ago her mom came to us on confidence and talked to us about baptizing her daughter. We had been passing by this family a lot to help them stay active in church and the grandma we just called to be the relief society president. We went over a lot to help this family and really began to gain a great relationship with this family. When I said my goodbye to this family a couple weeks ago they were so sad, that I was leaving. I was super sad too, and I still felt like there was more I needed to do. I don’t know if your guys remember, but I wrote in an email that my work here in Los Sauces was not done. I now know why;) When Hermana Alejandra came up to us a month ago and told us that she wanted us to teach her daughter, we were so happy. The first lesson we went over there and this 11 year old girl did not want to listen. She suffers a lot with ADD so it is super hard for her to sit and listen. The first lesson was so hard to teach her. I remember my companion and I looked at each other and said this is going to be one hard task. But it was a lot easier than I thought. We would go over there every couple days and help teach her. In these lessons we could feel the spirit so strong. I have never seen a girl change so fast. In the first lesson she couldn’t pray, or even pay attention. And then every lesson after that she got better and better. We could feel her desire to be baptized and that she really was doing the things she needed to be doing. She was reading, praying and helping her family. Isabella has so much faith. We learned so much from her and her example. The day of her baptism, the spirit filled the church. I went over and talked to Isabella, she was super nervous, but super excited. I started to ask her questions about her preparation and what she did. She began to tell us stories of how she came to know these things were true. I wanted to share with you guys one of these stories that can help all of us.

So Isabella told me this before her baptism. She told me that one night, her mom had to walk over to the neighbor’s house about a couple blocks away. It was about 11 at night so it was super dark. Isabella is super scared of the dark. Her mom asked her to go with her. Isabella was super scared and said no at first. She didn’t want to go. But her mom insisted that she went and accompanied her. Isabella ran to her room and grabbed her Book of Mormon and then ran outside with her mom. She went with her mom to the neighbor’s house the whole time, she held tightly to the Book of Mormon.

We can learn so much from the testimony of the 11 year old Isabella. When I look into her eyes I see Christ. She feels the comfort that comes from the book of Mormon. She know that this book protects her from the scary things in the outside world. She knows that Christ will protect her if she reads and prays about this book.
 I want to testify that the gospel principles that this little girl showed me are true. If we feast upon the words of Christ we will be protected. We will feel the love of Christ in our lives.

        
 2 Nephi 31:20:
“FEAST UPON THE WORDS OF CHRIST; YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE" 

I challenge all of you to come closer to Christ by reading from the Book of Mormon each and every day. As you do you will be strengthened and you will be protected from the evil things of the world. It is amazing the things you can learn from an 11 year old girl.

I am so happy that I had the chance to help this little girl make the right decisions and she the changes in her life. She is really a great example to me I hope my faith can grow to become just like hers.





No comments:

Post a Comment